Healthy Hot Chocoltae for hormone health
Healthy Hot Chocolate for Hormone Health
A true Medicinal Food (and sugar free)
Chocolate, a real superfood: We are not talking about Dairy milk or super sweet alternatives. Real cacao comes from this plant: Theobroma Cacao
The first time I saw Cacao was in Ecuador, I could not believe this is where we got our chocolate from. I tried the pale flesh, its sweet, and slightly sour with the texture of a lychee. We get the cacao from roasting the brown beans inside.
Originating more than 3000 years ago in Aztec and Mayan civilisations, cacao is a real superfood. It contains elevated levels of:
- Magnesium to help normal psychological function and energy levels
- Copper helps with energy yielding metabolism
- Zinc protects from oxidative stress
Raw Hot Cacao Recipe
Makes one big mug
- 250 mls of unsweetened plant-based milk, I like Wunda unsweetened (pea protein but there are loads to choose from) Try not to use Oat as has higher carbohydrates.
- 2 -3 heaped teaspoons of Organic cacao powder or even better, Organic freshly grated raw cacao
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Vanilla extract: couple of drops
Add all into a pan on low heat, gentle stir until piping hot. For best results, take off heat and whizz up with a blender to create a foam.
- Sweeter? if you want a sweeter hot chocolate, use these lower carb sugar replacements, like erythritol. Add one teaspoon to taste. Erythritol is a low carbohydrate plant based natural sweetener. It has a much more natural taste that stevia.
- Creamier? If you want a creamier hot chocolate, add coconut cream or whipped cream, and sprinkle more cacao or cinnamon on top.
Optional Synergistic Boosts
- Maca powder– 1-2 teaspoons, a malty taste, a fantastic addition to improve energy and libido!
- Ashwagandha powder ½ teaspoon- relaxing calming effect
- Grass fed collagen powder: a boost of muscle building blocks 1 teaspoon, great for post exercise.
- Orange zest– For an orangey kick- ½ teaspoon.
- Drop of rose tincture/tea– for a love boost!
- Turmeric ½ a teaspoon- great for period pains
If you keep the sugar out (this includes honey, maple syrup and coconut sugar), this hot chocolate is a healthy low carbohydrate nutritional treat and can easily satisfy sweet cravings.
Buying the good stuff:
Try to get good quality organic cacao, Fairtrade if possible.
The Natural dispensary do a good range and you can get 20 per cent off if you use my discount code SR20
Naturya, Organic Traditions
This is the highest quality cacao -a special treat or to use for energy work, dances and share with friends.
My good friend Dani stocks the most amazing raw cacao from Peru. You can find her on Facebook or Instagram -Raw Choco Mama
Email her to order: