Updated: Mar 20
These super tasty seed crackers are the perfect alternative to bread and crackers if you are avoiding grains and looking for a lower-carb alternative. They are also packed full of phytoestrogens.
What are Phytoestrogens?
These are plant-based molecules, similar to human oestrogens that have a beneficial effect on hormone balance and perimenopausal symptoms.
Examples are flax seed, sesame seed, sunflower seed and pumpkin seed. I have a whole blog coming up on these amazing compounds so keep your eyes peeled. (A great way to stay up to date with my new blog posts is to follow me on Instagram @sararooneyherbalist where I announce all my new content).
No Grain, low-carb seed cracker recipe
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 1 HOUR
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 15 MINUTES
CALORIES: 130 KCAL
• 2 cups of water
• 3 tbsp psyllium seed powder (you can get it from health food
shops or online)
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 2 cups of mixed seeds for example:
• 1 cup sunflower seeds
• 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
• 1/3 cup flax seeds
• 1/3 cup sesame seeds
Optional - garlic powder, seaweed powder, oregano, chilli flakes
1. Pour two cups of tap water into a large mixing bowl.
2. A little at a time, mix in the psyllium husk powder, whisking all the
time. Do not use hot water. Do not put in powder first and then try to add
3. When all lumps are dissolved, add the salt and then the seeds. Stir
4. Depending on your husk powder, you may need to add a few more
seeds. But before you do that, let it rest for 10-15 minutes. This
gives the psyllium a chance to gel.
5. Heat oven to 350 degrees F whilst the mixture is resting.
6. Grease an 18 x 13-inch oven tray or use a silicone mat to prevent
the mixture from sticking.
7. Once the mixture has gelled, spread it as thinly and evenly as you can
on the mat.
8. Place in the oven and set a timer to 25 minutes.
9. When the timer goes off, remove the tray. Use a pizza cutter or a
sharp knife to score the mixture into cracker shapes. I score four long strips
and eight short strips for a total of 32 crackers.
10. Put them back in the oven and set the timer for 25 minutes. Your
crackers will likely take between 45-60 minutes to crisp up. Seeds burn easily,
so you will have to watch them after the timer goes off. You're aiming for
crisp crackers. Turn the oven off but leave them in to crisp up (but not
11. Once they're done, remove and break along the scored lines. Allow
them to cool and then put them in a sealed container. Enjoy them whenever
you get the craving for something crunchy and low-carb!
- It's important that you have the right amount of psyllium husk powder. This is what forms the gel and what allows it to turn into a nice cracker.
- Make sure to pat out the mixture as thinly as you can. Not only will it speed up the cooking process, but it also ensures a crispier cracker, which is exactly what we want.
- Make sure to give it plenty of time to crisp up after it is done baking.
- Though you can use whatever seeds you like, it's important that you use seeds that are on the small side ie. sesame seeds, hemp seeds, etc.
- These will keep for about a week if you store them in a sealed container.
Adapted from: Low Carb Crackers with Seeds